Student Support Services Coordinator
Great Lakes Academy is a K-8 charter school opening in 2014 with Kindergarten and First Grade. We are seeking a high capacity, experienced, fun loving, mission driven Student Support Services Coordinator to design and coordinate our special education program for our students.
The Student Support Services Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the pre-referral and referral processes of special education, as well as overseeing the creation of, and execution of, IEPs for special education students.
- Assists in creation and execution of comprehensive school-wide systems for monitoring all student progress.
- Leads testing of all students in need of any special education, and assures appropriate Individual Education Programs (IEPs) are put in place to provide them with support and special services.
- Ensures school is in compliance with all state and federal special education laws.
- Identifies all qualified students and connects them to the appropriate special services.
- Creates and executes engaging lessons that supports all special needs such that they consistently meet and exceed their IEP goals.
- Manages weekly meetings with teachers and leadership team monitoring student progress, coordinating the Response to Intervention (RTI) process, and any testing necessary.
- Collaborates with Student Support Services Providers and Lead teachers in coordinating support schedules for all special needs students.
- As school grows, manages a team of special education teachers and service providers for all special needs students at the school.
- Manages parent relationships for all students receiving special services parents
- Ability to coordinate the execution of evaluations and creation of IEPs or 504 plans for students in need of such.
- Knowledge of state and federal special education laws to ensure the compliance of the school with regulatory requirements.
- Ability to clearly communicate with families, students, and staff regarding individual student needs.
- Strong coordination and collaboration skills to organize and schedule the special services of all qualified students.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Minimum of two years special education teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting is required.
- Valid Illinoia Special Education State Certification is required.
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely Positive, Hard-Working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of Humor, Humble, Self-Reflective, Goal-Oriented, Enthusiastic.
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.