Great Lakes Academy is a K-8 charter school opening in summer, 2014 with Kindergarten and First Grade. We are seeking high capacity, fun loving, mission driven teachers to serve as Co-Teachers for Kindergarten and First Grade. In Kindergarten and First Grade, we have a co-teacher model, with the majority of the day being taught in small groups.
A Great Lakes Academy Founding Co-Teacher will be a part of a team of game-changing teachers working to change the face of education on the South Side of Chicago. A Founding Co-Teacher takes responsibility for the high academic achievement and character development of every child in his or her classroom. In grades K and 1, teachers co-teach and work collaboratively for student success. Each classroom has a Master Teacher, with at least 3-5 years of urban teaching experience. Each classroom also has a Co-Teacher, who is less experienced. Both teachers have daily planning and teaching responsibilities.
- Demonstrates a classroom culture that is fiercely positive and devotes the majority of time to instruction rather than discipline.
- Instills a joy of learning in students and works to develop self-motivated and self- monitoring learners with the skills to set, monitor and meet self-set goals.
- Employs previous experience, best practices, and creativity to connect with students to ensure student achievement on interim and state tests demonstrates an average of 85% mastery; student achievement on STEP averages 3 levels of growth per year.
- Establishes relationships with students’ families, cultivating learning environments for our students in and out of the classroom.
- Consistently models the BE GREAT Great Lakes Academy core values: Bravery, Endurance, Growth, Responsibility, Enthusiasm, Achievement, and Team.
- Writes and delivers lesson plans to students that are engaging, and effective per student data.
- Implements classroom instruction that supports the social-emotional growth of students.
- Cultivates positive, collaborative relationships with families, and consistent communication with families.
- Assesses and evaluates student growth; action plans on class-wide, group-wide and individual basis in response to student data.
- Creates a classroom culture that develops in students the BE GREAT core values and independent learning skills.
- Participate in an annual four-week staff orientation and training.
- Outstanding classroom management that relies on positive, proactive reinforcement of high behavioral standards.
- Strong relationship builder with students, families, and other staff members.
- Critical thinker with ability to analyze data and adjust plans to improve student achievement.
- Growth mindset and ability to accept and implement feedback.
- Ability to work collaboratively and without ego.
- Willingness to place student achievement as highest goal.
- Self-reflective, with a drive to continually grow as a teacher.
- Willingness to work hard and the flexibility to work through start-up challenges.
- Ability to quickly learn and implement technology innovations in the classroom.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Minimum of two years teaching experience in an urban public school or charter school setting preferred, but not required.
- Valid State Certification or entry into a program to obtain such certification is required.
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Hard-working, Intelligent, Team oriented, Organized, Sense of humor, Belief in the power of education, Humble, Self-reflective, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic.
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.