Dean of Curriculum & Instruction
Great Lakes Academy is a K-8 charter school working to open in 2014 with Kindergarten and First Grade. We are currently seeking a high capacity, enthusiastic, hard-working, growth minded individual to serve on our team as our inaugural Dean of Curriculum & Instruction.
The Dean of Curriculum & Instruction works closely with the Executive Director in establishing and maintaining a fiercely positive, warm/strict school culture in a first-year charter school, creating the a college preparatory curriculum for each grade, including the assessments and scope and sequence, and coaching teachers in classroom management and lesson creation and execution.
- Ensures systems and procedures at school are clear, communicated, and consistently implemented to 100%.
- Establishes scope and sequence for character (social/emotional) teaching in Character and Fitness class. Teaches Character and Fitness class in Year 1 (Y1).
- Upholds rigorous, standards based interim assessments for Reading Comprehension, Math, Science, Social Studies and Writing, for every grade.
- Defines pacing plan and day by day scope and sequence for English and Language Arts (ELA) and Math in Y1.
- Drives teacher growth at high levels through individual goal setting around classroom culture, curriculum development, lesson creation and lesson execution, and data analysis and action planning.
- Builds staff-wide professional development programming to lead teachers in analyzing student data highly responsive action plans that bring 100% of scholars to mastery of 100% of grade level standards.
- Establishes positive relationships with families, staff and community.
- Creates rigorous, standards based interim assessments for Reading Comprehension, Math, Science, Social Studies, and Writing for every grade as well systems to evaluate the outcomes and respond to data.
- Works with the Executive Director to develop, implement and maintain every detail of the school’s systems and procedures, including homework, discipline, transitions, entrance and exit, community celebrations, breakfast, lunch, and classroom culture so that GLA is structured and highly joyful with a focus on growth.
- Coaches teachers on executing daily, weekly and interim assessments and analysis, implementing highly responsive instructional action plans that bring 100% of scholars to mastery of 100% of objectives such that every single student masters every single standard.
- Creates system for tracking school culture and monitors, analyzes and defines action plans based on this data.
- Creates a system for, and conducts, school culture audits on a quarterly basis, and develops plans to address any deficits in culture.
- Handles in-school disciplinary action, and coordinates any out of school actions, such as suspensions.
- Experienced teacher with track record of student success in the classroom and around student culture.
- Able to coach teachers in use of data, lesson planning, curriculum building, action planning, and execution.
- Deep knowledge of elementary curriculum with particular knowledge of literacy development.
- Deep knowledge of curricular resources and programs, including an understanding of common core and social-emotional learning practices.
- Strong communicator and relationship builder with adults, including peers and families.
- Able to build a strong, collaborative, transparent and motivated team.
- Able to drive cultural consistency- emotional consistency, system and procedural consistency, intentionally calm and positive.
- Demonstrated leadership skills - highly organized and efficient, self-motivated.
- Bachelor’s degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred; and
- Minimum of four years teaching experience in an urban public school or urban charter school setting preferred, but not required.
- Valid State Certification is helpful but not required.
- Belief in and alignment with Great Lakes Academy’s core beliefs and educational philosophy is non-negotiable.
Culture Fit- Do these words describe you?
Fiercely positive, Sense of Humor, Hard-working, Intelligent, High Emotional IQ, Organized, Humble, Self-reflective, Self-directed, Goal-oriented, Enthusiastic, Friendly.
As an equal opportunity employer, Great Lakes Academy hires without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law.